The new £600,000 Warwick Cadet Centre was officially opened by the Lord Lieutenant for Warwickshire, Mr. Tim Cox, at a ceremony on Saturday 26th November. The event was attended by local Air Cadet and Army Cadet Forces alongside family, friends and an array of local dignitaries; including: the Member of Parliament for Warwick and Leamington, Mr. Chris White, and the Headmaster of Aylesford School, Mr. Steven Hall.
The new purpose built 250m2 centre will become the shared home of 1368 (Warwick & Royal Leamington Spa) Squadron Air Cadets, and Warwick Detachment Army Cadets; with the opening ceremony marking the culmination of months of hard work. The project was initiated and supported throughout by the West Midlands Reserve Forces’ and Cadets’ Association and contractor Three Pines Construction, with further support from Aylesford School and Warwick District Council.
The ceremony commenced with pieces by the Air Cadet and Army Cadet Bands, followed by a formal parade by cadets from both forces from across Warwickshire. The new centre was then officially opened by Her Majesty The Queen’s representative for Warwickshire, Lord Lieutenant Mr. Tim Cox. The Ensigns of both the Air Cadets and Army Cadets were raised and a guided tour of the new premises provided to Mr. Cox and other dignitaries, followed by refreshments and a chance for the cadets to demonstrate their achievements.
Construction of the new Cadet Centre started in February on the Aylesford School site, just off Stratford Road next to the Playbox Theatre. The centre is equipped with the latest technology and an array of classrooms, offices, stores and a kitchen. It will give the cadet units the opportunity to expand, and they will look to offer a range of exciting new experiences to young men and women, including: flying, gliding, DofE Award, shooting, field craft, radio and leadership development.